Graduation Preparation & Eligibility FAQ

The College has instituted an additional degree/certificate conferral date of December 31. Students with this conferral date may attend Commencement in June.

+How do I determine if I am eligible to graduate?

Before you apply to graduate, you should: (1) meet with your advisor; (2) determine that you are program enrolled; (3) confirm that transfer credits applicable to your degree are in place, (4) that the timeline of final courses required to graduate are or will be completed by the end of the term in which you are to graduate and (5) that you have no financial obligations to the Business Office, Bookstore or Library.Students may run an “unofficial” degree audit at by selecting Student Degree Evaluation, under the Student Records tab.
+What should I bring with me for advisement purposes?

Bring all academic history (transcripts, student copies will suffice) and a copy of your program guide.
+Where can I obtain a program guide?

Program guides are available at the Academic Advising Center and in the Faculty area.
+What if I'm not currently program enrolled in my program of choice?

A Change of Program form must be filled out and filed with the Records Office as soon as possible. Change of Program forms are available in the forms rack located directly across from the Records Office and online at
+What about transfer credits?

Students who wish to transfer credits to Tunxis Community College for courses taken at other colleges must submit official transcripts and a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form to the Admissions Office. Request forms are available at the Admissions Office and in the forms rack located directly across from the Records Office and online at
+How many transfer credits can I apply to my program?

The Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education policy stipulates a residency requirement of 25 percent of program credits. In other words, you need to complete at least five courses at Tunxis, and up to 45 credits can be transferred in provided they meet your program requirements.
+How do I know who my advisor is?

Students may look up their advisor at by selecting View Student Information, under the Student Records tab.
+How do I apply for graduation?

Once you and your advisor have determined eligibility, you must apply to graduate. Graduation applications are available at the Records Office. Applications MUST be accompanied with a signed program guide and submitted at the Records Office. Note: Graduation fee is no longer required.
+When do I apply for graduation?

By November 1 for the December 31 conferral and February 1 for the June 1 conferral. Students may also apply for both conferral dates if they are planning to meet requirements for different programs at different times. Students who do not meet requirements by December and want to graduate in June must REAPPLY at the Records Office.
+When will I know my graduation status?

The Records Office will send out a graduation status report within four weeks of filing.

To qualify for honors, degree candidates must have a minimum of 30 semester hours of Tunxis Community College credits and meet one of the program GPA (grade point average) rankings listed below. Honors notations are reflected on transcripts.
3.4 – 3.69 = Honors
3.7 – 3.89 = High Honors
3.9 – 4.0 = Highest Honors
Certificate candidates who have completed at least 15 credits at Tunxis and have a program GPA of 3.5 and above are eligible for distinction. Transcripts will reflect “With Distinction.”
+How are honors presented?

Honors are indicated in the Commencement Program and will be acknowledged during the presentation of graduates. Note: If students have incomplete grades or outstanding transcripts just prior to Commencement, honors cannot be presented.
Honor Societies: Phi Theta Kappa (PTK)
PTK members are eligible, but not required, to purchase the PTK sash, cord, tassel and lapel pin directly from Phi Theta Kappa online using their member ID at Chapter officers are also eligible to wear medallions, loaned for this purpose by the TCC PTK Club. For further information, contact Helen Lozada, Advisor, Phi Theta Kappa at 860.773.1422.
+Can I receive multiple degrees?

A student who already holds an academic degree may earn a second degree in a different curriculum at a community college. Such as student shall be treated similarly to a transfer student with respect to the minimum number of credits he or she must take for the second degree. This will require that the student meet all program requirements and earn at least 25 percent of the minimum requirement for the new curriculum at the college through which the second degree is to be conferred. Requests for additional degrees beyond the second require prior approval from the Academic Dean. Students who receive approval must then complete all program requirements, including earning at least 25 percent of the minimum requirements for the new curriculum at the college through which the degree is to be conferred. Completing requirements of an additional program option does not constitute a different degree.
+When will the award notation be placed on my transcript?

Awards will appear within several days following each conferral date.
+What if I need one more course to graduate by the end of the spring semester in which I am to graduate?

The Dean of Academic Affairs has made accommodations for students who are one course short to graduate pending extenuating circumstances. Students who find themselves in this situation must see their advisor and then must petition the Academic Dean in writing. The request must state the circumstances surrounding the request as well as a copy of the signed program guide. The Dean of Academic Affairs submits his decision in writing with a copy forwarded to the Records Office and will become part of the student’s file. If approved, the student must register as soon as summer registration begins. If the course is to be taken elsewhere, proof of registration must be presented to the Records Office. Permission granted allows the student to participate in the commencement ceremony with the current class. Degree awards are posted to transcripts upon successful completion of summer course. This policy is not applicable to students intending to complete requirements in the fall.

For more information, contact the Records Office (Registrar) during regular business hours (M-Th: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.) at 860.773.1440