Tunxis Community College in Farmington will offer a variety of summer science and theater workshops for children ages six to 11 starting in July. Taught by certified teachers, the following courses will be offered:
• Build Your Own Vehicle, Hover Craft and Egg Drop Car; July 7-11, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. The laws of motion, energy, air pressure, friction, lift, speed and elevation will be explored as children design and build an air-powered Hover Craft and Egg Drop Car to bring home. Once they’re up and moving, they’ll experiment with defying gravity and controlling direction by using their creativity. Cost is $149.
• Can You Dig It? Dinosaur Fossil Hunt; July 14-18; 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Each child will join in a simulated fossil excavation, uncovering different bones before assembling them to create a three-dimensional dinosaur to take home. Children will also make plaster fossil replicas, identify 20-million-year-old shark’s teeth, cave bear teeth, dinosaur eggs, rocks and minerals. Excavation tools, labels, and specimen bags included. Cost is $149.
• Make It and Take It Home: Science Projects That Are Fun; July 7-11, 12:45-3:45 p.m.
Students will make and take home a wide assortment of toys designed to teach science concepts. Among the projects are growing a crystal tree, making an energy bracelet, ice cream making, building a working electric motor out of household items, and make-your-own bubbling blobs, Silly Putty, glowing goo, and more. Bring a 100% cotton t-shirt for one of the activities. Cost is $149.
• Harry Potter: Join Our Magical Mystery Tour; July 14-18, 12:45-3:45 p.m.
Children will join in the escapades of Harry and his friends as they experience where the magic of science, art and literature meet. They will play Quidditch, make an edible wand, “brew” potions to drink, experiment with colored magic sand, create and watch chemical reactions, and make crystals. Cost is $149.
• Children’s Summer Theater Camp (Ages 6-10); July 8-22, 9-11:30 a.m., with performance on July 24 for “The Wizard of Oz;” or
July 29-Aug. 12, 9-11:30 a.m., with performance on Aug. 14 for “Peter Pan’s Magical Neverland.”
This class will explore the use of makeup, imagination, and creativity. Children will bring out individual expression through pantomime, theater games, improvisation, props, and character development. Performance held at the end of each session. Cost is $85 with a $5 materials fee for each session.
The courses are among many available through Tunxis Workforce Development and Continuing Education. To view course details and additional summer non-credit offerings, see the Tunxis Continuing Education summer course schedule online at www.tunxis.edu/cesched. Tunxis is located at the junction of Routes 6 and 177 in Farmington.