Tips for Prospective Students
- Understand your rights and responsibilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- To plan ahead for a smooth transition, meet with the Learning Disabilities Specialist before classes begin to submit documentation and arrange academic accommodations.
Before High School Graduation
- Make sure that disability documentation and special education reports are up to date and obtain a copy for your records.
- Understand your specific disability and the support you are currently receiving.
- Before taking the SAT, inquire about special accommodations for testing.
- Contact the State Bureau of Rehabilitation Services to inquire about eligibility for services.
- Develop reading, study, time management and organizational skills.
Checklist for New Students
- Apply for Admission and Financial Aid. Upon acceptance, all students receive a Banner ID Number (or Student ID) to be used for all campus related transactions.
- Take English and Math Placement Tests. If you need special accommodations, please contact Cathy Felice: 860.773.1524.
- Register for classes (refer to the links noted in your acceptance letter to schedule an advising appointment).
- Schedule an appointment with a Learning Disabilities Specialist in the Academic Support Center for information on Disability Services.
- Submit appropriate documentation to Disability Services.
- Complete an Intake Interview with a Learning Disabilities Specialist to discuss individual learning strengths, specific academic adjustments, and creating a Learning Profile.
- Complete the "Semester Academic Adjustment Requests" form for approval by the Learning Disabilities Specialist.
- If academic adjustments are approved, complete a Learning Profile with the Learning Disabilities Specialist. This Profile is used to communicate the approved academic adjustments with faculty.
- Review the process for arranging the approved academic adjustments.
For more information, contact the Academic Support Center at 860.773.1530 or email@example.com.