Test Taking Strategies Outline
Note: All the test taking, anxiety strategies will not help if you are not prepared for the test!
HOW TO PREPARE FOR AND TAKE TESTS
Prior to Taking Test
1. Take notes in class.
2. Highlight text.
3. Review within 24 hours.
4. Do major reviews periodically.
5. Ask the teacher what will be on the test.
6. Ask the teacher what format will be used.
7. Get a good night’s sleep the night before a test.
8. Exercise prior to the test to relieve anxiety.
During the Test
1. Look over the test before you begin.
2. Plan your time accordingly.
3. Read the directions carefully.
4. Answer easy questions first.
5. Jot down facts you remember as soon as you get your test paper.
6. Make simple outlines for essay questions.
7. Re-read and check your answers before handing in your test.
HOW TO DEAL WITH ANXIETY
1. Cope with negative thoughts.
A. Picture yourself as a successful test-taker
B. Engage in positive inner dialogue
C. Remember that your whole future doesn’t depend on one test
2. Tame physical sensations.
For more information, contact the Academic Support Center at 860.773.1530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A. Breathe deeply.
B. Eat breakfast
C. Do some aerobic exercise
D. Practice relaxation techniques
E. Talk with someone about your anxiety