Peer Tutor Requirements
Becoming a Peer Tutor in the Academic Support Center is a competitive process that requires interested applicants to meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled at Tunxis with a minimum of 12 credits completed.
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Have earned at least a B in any course(s) he/she wants to tutor.
- Be able to tutor English through Composition and/or math through Intermediate Algebra, in addition to any other course of interest.
- Be available to tutor between 8-20 hours per week during the academic year.
- Commit to attending tutor trainings and workshops throughout the semester.
- Have the patience and desire to help people.
Becoming a Peer Tutor
If you meet the above requirements, please complete a Tutor Application and attach a copy of an unofficial transcript from each College that you previously attended, including Tunxis. Applications and transcripts must be emailed to email@example.com or delivered to the Academic Support Center no later than 5 weeks before the start of the semester. Once received, applications will be reviewed and finalists will be contacted for an interview.
As part of the interview process, finalists interested in tutoring English will be asked to submit a writing sample that demonstrates a well-organized paper with a clear thesis statement. The writing sample must be accompanied by a short paragraph explaining why the particular sample was chosen. Math finalists will be required to take a math assessment (Intermediate Algebra Sample Final).