Q: How do I apply to the College?

A: All students who want to attend the College, whether new to college or transferring in from an institution, must submit an application and proof of high school graduation. There is a $20 application fee. As proof of graduation you may submit a copy of your high school diploma, transcripts or GED. Proof of college graduation may be submitted in lieu of a high school diploma. You may access our application on the Admissions Office web page. Connecticut state law requires that students enrolled in a degree or certificate program, or those who are enrolling full-time must submit proof of immunization.  For information about immunization requirements, click here.


Q: Is testing required for admission to the College?

A: For advising purposes and because of course prerequisites, students new to Tunxis are required to take our placement assessment, Accu-placer. You are exempt from testing only if you have previously taken appropriate college-level English and math and provide proof in the form of a transcript from your former institution(s). Non-degree students who intend to take a class that does not have English or math as a prerequisite are also exempt. Your application must be on file with the Admissions Office prior to scheduling your placement test. Placement testing is offered at a variety of times and dates to accommodate your needs. Once you’ve submitted an application, a placement assessment may be scheduled by calling our Academic Support Center at 860.773.1530.

Q: What are the application procedures for foreign students?

A: International or foreign students who wish to attend Tunxis Community College on a student visa should go to the Admissions Office web page for details. If there are questions, applicants may also contact our foreign student Admissions Counselor at 860.773.1489.

Q: Do I need to submit my health records?

A: Connecticut state law requires that students enrolled in a degree or certificate program, or those who are enrolling full-time must submit proof of immunization.  For information about immunization requirements, click here.

Q: Can I study part-time?

A: You may register as a part-time student. This means that you are registered for less than 12 credits or semester hours.

Q: Do I have to enroll in a degree or certificate program?

A: Initially, you do not, unless you want to apply for financial aid. However, all students must meet course prerequisites when registering for class. College policy requires students to select a program after completion of 12 credits. Prior to this, you may maintain non-degree status.

Q: Do I have to be a high school graduate to attend?

A: There are circumstances in which students without high school diplomas may attend classes. Because of the many circumstance involved, we ask that student who do not have a high school diploma contact the Admissions Office at 860.773.1490 to discuss their specific circumstances.

Q: Can I test for college credit?

A: Students may gain credit by examination. In certain academic areas, examinations are scheduled on a regular basis. Other exams may be offered at the discretion of individual faculty members. These examinations may consist of any combination of oral, written, laboratory work, or portfolio analysis. Examinations may be taken only in subject areas in which the student has not received college credit in more advanced courses. Applications are available at the Records Office (Registrar) and must be signed by the appropriate department chair and faculty member administering the examination. A fee of $15 will be charged per examination.

Q: How is registration different than applying to the College?

A: Registration is the process by which a student actually selects a class or classes, and they are formally enrolled and placed onto a class roster. The application process simply involves submitting an application and related documents to the College, paying the application fee and placement testing. Students must apply prior to registering.

Q: How and when do I register?

A: Registration takes place after all application materials have been submitted. The Admissions Office will contact new students when it is time to register. More information is available in the registration guide.

Q: Is Web registration available?

A: New students, generally speaking, are not allowed to register via the Web. This is due primarily to the need to confirm that students have met course prerequisites.
For returning students, web registration is available

Q: How do I register for an online class?

A: New students may register for ONLINE courses in any of the following three ways. Your email address must be included with the completed Online Credit Class Registration Form you submit with your payment.
1. Regular postal mail
2. Fax: 860.606.9766
3. In-Person

Q: How do admissions requirements affect financial aid?

A: Students must be admitted to the College in a degree or certificate program and have met all requirements for their admissions file before the Financial Aid Services Office may make an award. A financial aid award cannot be made for a student unless they are admitted in a degree program. Non-degree enrolled students may not receive financial aid.

Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

A: For best results, you should apply for student aid at least 12 weeks before classes start at Tunxis. This should enable us to reach a decision for you before you begin classes. You may apply at any time during the academic year. However, if you apply later in the year, it may not be possible to complete your application before the end of the year, or you may find that all funds have been committed.

Q: How do I transfer classes to Tunxis from my other college or university?

A: If you have taken classes at other colleges and/or universities and would like to have your credits reviewed for transfer to your Tunxis program, please contact your former institutions(s) and request an official transcript be sent directly to the Admissions Office. Once transcripts are requested, please submit a “Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form” to the Admissions Office. Forms are available one the web site or in the Admissions and Counseling area.

Q: How long does it take to have my transcripts evaluated?

A: The process of delivering a completed transfer evaluation to a student varies and depends on a number of conditions. But once a student’s file is complete and appropriate documents received students usually receive a completed evaluation in four to six weeks.

Q: When are classes offered?

A: Tunxis operates on a traditional semester basis (Fall-Spring-Summer), and currently offers courses on campus day and evening, Monday through Saturday. We also offer many of our courses online, which allows students to fulfill course requirements from their home or work computer whenever it is convenient for them.

Q: What programs does Tunxis Community College offer?

A: You may view the over 62 degree and certificate options at Tunxis by visiting programs of study on the web site. Additional information and course requirements are available in the College Catalog.

Q: How much will it cost to take classes?

A: Our fees are based on the number of credits a student registers for. See the Business Office tuition and fee schedule for details.

Q: When do I have to pay for my classes?

A: Payment is expected at the time of registration. If you can’t come to campus during office hours to pay, you may also pay by phone using Visa/Mastercard, mail by sending a check or money order or pay online with a Visa/Mastercard at my.commnet.edu. For details on payment options, visit our Business Office web site.

Q: Is there a payment plan for tuition?

A: Yes. As a service to our students Tunxis offers a payment plan, allowing students to spread the amount due over three installments. There is a flat $25 non-refundable plan charge.

Q: If I have a disability, what are the procedures for applying?

A: Admissions procedures are the same for all students. For students with learning and/or physical disabilities, classroom accommodations can be made. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact our Academic Support Center at 860.773.1530 to discuss their needs and services available.

Q: What are the admissions procedures for senior citizens?

A: Connecticut law allows those age 62 and older to take courses free of charge on a space-available basis. Seniors should submit an Admissions Application. There is a special date put aside every semester for them to register.
Q: What if I’m a veteran of the military?

A: Military veterans follow normal application procedures. Veterans should provide a copy of their DD-214 to the Financial Aid Services Office for review so that a determination may be made regarding the veteran’s eligibility for tuition waivers or other benefits.

Q: Where can I get information on child care fees?

A: Information on child care fees is available from Linda Rosado, Acting Director of the Child Development Center, 860.773.1350.

Q: What activities can I get involved with on campus?

A: There are many activities and special events for students throughout the semester. In addition, you may want to get involved in student clubs and organizations, which include Student Government Organization; African Students Union; Celebration of Womanhood; Dental Assisting Club; Drug and Alcohol Recovery Counselors Club; El Club de Español; Epsilon Pi Tau; Human Services Club; International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP); Multicultural Student Alliance; Muslim Student Association; Phi Theta Kappa national honor society; Psi Beta—National Honor Society for Psychology students; Student American Dental Hygienists Association (SADHA); Tried ‘N’ True Bible Ministries Club; Tunxis Finance & Accounting Club; Tunxis CC Outdoor Club; Tunxis PC Club; and Tunxis Student Newspaper Club. For more information, see the Student Handbook or call the Director of Student Activities, 860.773.1361.

Q: What do I need a student ID for?

A: Each Tunxis student should obtain and carry a student photo identification card (ID), which shall be issued during registration periods in the Computer Center, 300 Building. The ID card is valid for a student attending Tunxis who registers for classes continuously over a period of 3 years. A fee is charged for a replacement ID card (i.e., lost card). For more details, contact the IT Department Help Desk at 860.773.1390. Students are required to present ID cards for the following:

1. Library – to check out books and materials

2. Computer Resource Center – to access the Computer and Mac labs

3. Academic Support Center – to access all resources

4. Career Services- to access resources

Students may be requested to present their ID card to any Tunxis Community College faculty or staff member for purposes of identification upon verbal request.

Q: Is there a cafeteria on campus?

A: “Whit’s Place” café, located in the Administration Building, provides a place to have a good meal, meet friends, study, and relax. A wide variety of hot entrées, grilled items, hot and cold sandwiches, soup, breakfast items, salad bar and fruit are offered for sale. Cookies and brownies are baked on the premises. Snacks and beverages are also available.

Q: Where is student parking?

A: Students may park in any designated space. Vehicles parked in handicapped spaces must display hang tags. Parking is allowed on grassy areas and parking islands when the lots are full. Guards will be in the lot to assist you. See a guard if you have questions. The college does issue parking tickets and will tow vehicles if necessary. More info »

Q: Is there a health clinic on campus if I become sick or injured?

The college does not have a health clinic. All enrolled students, credit and non-credit, are enrolled in the School Time Injury Only Plan (Plan A 2008-210337-1) insurance plan. All enrolled students are eligible to enroll in the Optional 24 hour Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan (Plan B 2008-201337-2). Both Plan A and Plan B policy dates run from August 25, 2008 through August 24, 2009. Students do not receive ID cards.

Students may obtain information about the insurance plan from the following sources:

  • directly from the provider at www.uhcsr.com or 1-800-767-0700
  • on the Business Office Web page
  • packets are available in the following offices: Admissions, Records, Business Office
  • call the Dean of Administration at 860.773.1302

Fluid exposures (needlesticks, face splashes, etc.) experienced by clinical students while engaging in school related activities in a clinic setting shall be covered (including any medically required prescriptions) at 100% up to $500 maximum per incident.

In the event of a fluid exposure, the protocols outlined in the college’s Exposure Control Plan should be followed.

Students should be referred to providers in the Multiplan Network. They can search for a specific provider online at www.multiplan.com. The following is a list of Multiplan providers in the Farmington area that students may be referred to:

John Dempsey Health Ctr
263 Farmington Ave
Farmington, CT 06030

Farmington Surgery Center
1 Circle Rd #200
Farmington, CT 06032-1970

Bristol Hospital
Brewster Rd
Bristol, CT 06010

Med Help Medical Center
539 Farmington Ave
Bristol, CT 06010

Hospital For Special Care
2150 Corbin Ave
New Britain, CT 06053

Q: What is the typical class size at Tunxis?

A: Class sizes range from 12 to 35 students, with many averaging around 20.

Q: When may I purchase textbooks?

A: Books are available at Tunxis Bookstore the week before classes start and throughout the beginning of the semester. Purchases may be made with cash, personal check, VISA or MasterCard. Students requiring financial aid for the purchase of books should first go to the Financial Aid Services Office to process the appropriate forms.

For more information, contact the Admissions Information Office by calling 860.773.1490 or by sending an email to tx-admissions@tunxis.edu