Tunxis Community College held a free College Planning Conference on May 3 for groups of local high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors. This event provided opportunities for students to talk with college faculty, explore career and education options, and learn valuable information about paying for college.
The conference included an informational fair, workshops, keynote speakers and campus tour.
Approximately 360 high school students toured the Tunxis campus and learned about Tunxis degree programs, financial aid and scholarships, transfer opportunities, and how to succeed in college. The following area high schools participated: Bristol Central, Bristol Eastern, Cromwell, Farmington, New Britain, New Britain Satellite Academy, Newington, Saint Paul Catholic, Simsbury, and Southington.
Partial listing of workshops offered:
• 2 to 4 Year Plan: Community College to a University
• Boss of the Floss: Dental Hygiene Careers
• Care for Me: Early Childhood Education Programs at Tunxis
• Careers in Demand: Advanced Manufacturing Machine Technology
• Pathways to Teaching: TCC to CCSU
• Top 10 Things You Need To Know To Succeed in College
• What Would You Do: Community Outreach & Service Learning
Tunxis Community College in Farmington offers more than 70 associate degrees and certificates, including 20 with science, engineering, technology and advanced manufacturing emphases. Tunxis is also a recipient of a $2.8 million National Science Foundation grant that established the College of Technology’s Regional Center for Next Generation Manufacturing, an NSF Center of Excellence. For more information on programs at Tunxis, call 860.773.1490, or visit tunxis.edu.