To Obtain a ‘Tax Return Transcript’ Or a W2 Wage Statement (for non-filers)
NOTE: Verification requires a ‘Tax Return Transcript’ directly from the IRS. Below please find the instructions for the ways to get this required document.
The IRS will NOT send transcripts directly to the financial aid office – you must request them and bring or mail a copy to our office. (We do not recommend faxing personal information.)
- Online Request : https://www.irs.gov/
- On the IRS homepage, click “Get My Tax Record”
- Choose one option: “Get Transcript Online” or “Get Transcript by Mail”
- Provide the primary filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, and address info used when filing
- Request the “Return Transcript” for the specified year
- By Telephone: call 1-800-908-9946: follow the prompts to enter SSN and number of street address as it appears on your most recent tax return. Select option ‘2’ to request the transcript and appropriate year. The paper copy of your transcript will be sent to you within 5-10 business days; sign it and bring to our office.
- By Mail or Fax: IRS form 4506T: go to https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
This form can be downloaded from the IRS site, completed and mailed or faxed to the IRS. The appropriate tax year should be indicated on line 6. The tax filer must sign and date the form and provide a telephone number; for joint returns, both parties must sign the form. The paper copy of your transcript will be sent to you within 5-10 business days; sign it and bring to our office.
Not every option will be available to every tax payer; if you are not successful with the first option, we suggest you try the others.
In general, tax filers can expect IRS data to be available within:
- 2 weeks for tax return filed electronically.
- 8 weeks for tax returns mailed to the IRS.