Welcome to the Fall 2020 Virtual New Student Orientation
Greetings to our new students! We have created a virtual New Student Orientation video gallery below for you to enjoy. Various featured departments will provide you valuable information to assist you as you begin your journey at Tunxis.
The topics include:
- Welcome messages from our CEO and Dean of Students
- Keynote address by Professor Alva Hanson – Why You Want to Be Educated
- A tutorial to navigate through MyCommNet, where you access Tunxis email, register for classes, and log onto your fall online and LRON classes in Blackboard
- Information offered through our Academic Support & Tutoring Center
- Get involved – Student Activity and Student Government Association information
- Top 10 tips for success from our current and former students
- A virtual scavenger hunt to add some excitement to our virtual Orientation
- And More!!!!
Virtual Scavenger Hunt
The Tunxis Student Government Association is hosting a virtual scavenger hunt to encourage students to participate in our 2020 virtual New Student Orientation. The informational videos featured cover many topics that will assist you with your virtual journey at Tunxis Community College. If you watch all of the videos, you will learn the answers to the following eight questions.
- Who is the person you should be competing with?
- When are the Student Government Elections?
- How many tutoring appointments per week per class can a student schedule?
- What is DegreeWorks?
- What are the two primary ways to get your textbooks?
- What is the minimum grade point average to successfully complete the Pathway to Teaching Careers Associate’s Degree?
- What does the number 27,740 represent?
- Who runs the Community Outreach Club?
Now this is where things get exciting. If you correctly answer all eight questions, you will be entered into a drawing for one of twenty available $50.00 Visa gift cards. If your name is drawn for the top prize, you will win a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop with a retail value of $369.00!
In order to enter the drawing, please email your responses to all eight questions to me (Chris LaPorte, Director of Student Activities) at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for the scavenger hunt submission is Thursday, September 24. In addition to hosting this scavenger hunt, I also am responsible for the many student clubs at Tunxis as well as the Student Government Association. I am always eager to talk about the SGA and the exciting opportunities the association represents.
If you are curious about the SGA, why not ask me about running for an office? We will be hosting virtual elections for the positions of President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer on September 24th. SGA Officers heavily influence the types of activities we do on and off campus throughout the year. The opportunity of leading your peers as an officer looks great on a resume and provides a lifetime of leadership skills acquired through the process of governing the student body.
The Student Government Association will be holding their first meeting of the semester on Thursday, September 10th at 3pm on Webex. To participate in this meeting, cut and paste the hyperlink: JOIN WEBEX MEETING
Meeting number: 126 520 4408
Meeting password: v8YgjC
All Tunxis students are strongly encouraged to participate in SGA meetings.
Finally, the Student Government Association is hosting several events in September. First off is a drive-up goodie bag event on Wednesday, September 16th from 1-3pm and 4-6pm. If you drive up to the campus flagpole circle, you will receive a goodie bag with a SGA mug and a variety of other promotional items. All you have to do is email me at email@example.com to rsvp to participate and indicate what time you will be attending to pick up your bag.
Next will be an outdoor movie night in our courtyard on Thursday, September 17 at 8pm. This event is weather permitting and bring your own chair or towel. Due to limited space, this event will be by rsvp only. Please email me for more information.
On election night, we will have a “make your own pizza” night. All you have to do is video yourself making a custom pizza at home and you will be entered into a drawing to receive a $20 gift card to Stop and Shop. Please send videos to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Accessibilty Services
How to be Successful in College (PDF)
10 simple things students can do to rock their education
Information about accessing online courses: