Early Childhood Education Program Mission Statement
The Tunxis Community College Early Childhood Education program prepares students to be competent early childhood educators capable of integrating theory with best practices for teaching within diverse and inclusive early childhood settings. The program prepares life-long learners and leaders in education who work collaboratively with families and communities for the success of all children.
Early Childhood Education Degrees + Certificates
Designed to prepare students who are interested in the field of early care and education, or others who are already working in child care, to work effectively with children from birth to age eight. The program will prepare students for positions as teacher assistants or classroom aides in child-care programs, or to work in family day-care homes, or to work as a nanny in a private home.
Administrators and directors of child-care facilities have many responsibilities including business operations, staff training, and the planning of an appropriate learning environment for young children. To accomplish these tasks successfully, the individual must have skills in business management and leadership, and be knowledgeable in child development and developmentally-appropriate practices. This certificate program is designed to provide a well-balanced quality education to both current and prospective administrators and directors, to enable them to work effectively with their staffs as well as with the diverse population of children and families they serve, and to manage the day-to-day operations of a business.
Provides students with the skills and competencies necessary to work effectively with young children, birth through age eight, in the field of professional childcare and education. The program will prepare qualified students for positions as teachers and assistant teachers in a variety of early childhood settings. Instruction is designed to be practical for prospective teachers as well as individuals already in the field. In addition, the program will prepare students for academic work at the baccalaureate level.
As part of the program’s achieving and maintaining NAEYC accreditation, here is an annual report on measures and data relating to program outcome.
Future Educators’ Club
There are six purposes of the Tunxis Community College Future Educators’ Club (FEC):
- To acquaint students in the Early Childhood Education and Pathway to Teaching Careers Programs with other students and professionals in the field of education.
- Give students opportunities to extend classroom knowledge enabling them to understand the relationships of children, families, and communities.
- Provides a forum to discuss issues recent to education and the field of early childhood.
- Gives students opportunities to support and advocate for children and families.
- Provides members information on job opportunities and the availability of further study in bachelor degree programs.
- Offers opportunities for social involvement among students and faculty.
The club welcomes all Tunxis students.
Faculty Advisor – Joyce Voisine, firstname.lastname@example.org