Welcome to Fall 2020 at Tunxis
Fall classes begin August 26.
Tunxis Community College is operating under special conditions as a precaution due to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Our campus buildings are closed to students and the general public until further notice.
However, college staff are available remotely to help with applying for admission and financial aid, registering for courses, and providing information on additional services.
Welcome back! We have missed you and look forward to your return to campus.
Since March 2020 Tunxis Community College has closely monitored the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Since then the college has received guidance from the Governor’s Office, the Department of Public Health, and our System Office to plan for reopening stages that limit the spread of COVID-19 and help ensure the continuity of our educational mission. In addition, Tunxis continues to work closely with local health care providers, including the Farmington Valley Health District. Our top priority remains the health, safety, and well-being of our campus community.
Recently, the college successfully filed its Phase 3 reopening plans with the Department of Public Health. These plans allow the college to move forward with fall semester courses and events, while following strict guidance from government and health authorities to incorporate a range of precautionary measures to protect students and employees.
Important Information for All Students Who Will be On-Campus for Classes or to Utilize College Services by Appointment:
- Students are required to wear face masks and campus-issued IDs
- Social distancing is required while on campus
- The college has established designated entry points and exit points. All students with classes on ground will need to enter campus through the 100 Building Main Entrance by the flagpole.
- A virtual sign-in/sign-out process for all students and staff provides contact tracing and information on individual travel and related travel (“hotspot”) restrictions.
- Some limitations on access to certain areas of campus
- A follow-up email with additional information on college services, including the Bookstore, tutoring, Computer Center, Library, Early Childhood Center, cafeteria, and other areas, will be sent to students before the first day of classes.
Additional safety measures include:
- Room occupancy limits, moving of furniture and signage to enable social distancing
- Enhanced cleaning routines and sanitizing throughout the day according to CDC guidelines
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout campus
- Installation of plexiglass shields on desks and counters in labs and classrooms
- Contactless payment options for various services on campus
Please note: The college will remain closed to the general public until further notice.
The college’s virtual Orientation is here: www.tunxis.edu/orientation. There is useful information about navigating Tunxis, as well as a scavenger hunt with prizes.
Returning students – If you already have your Tunxis ID, email tx-ITHelpDesk@txcc.commnet.edu & we will mail your bus pass to you.
New students – Email tx-ITHelpDesk@txcc.commnet.edu to set up an on-campus appointment to get your student ID & bus pass.
It takes approximately 10 minutes. Appointments are available Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The status of the COVID pandemic and the strategies all students and employees utilize to weaken its effects will be critical to future campus operations. However, I do feel that Tunxis is well-positioned to adapt to whatever situation occurs. Until then, I want to thank you for your continued flexibility, understanding, and efforts to help our college remain safe and healthy.
Wishing you a safe and successful fall semester!
Dr. Darryl Reome
Tunxis Community College